Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bacon, Butchers, and Birthdays.

It has been about a week since my last post, and quite abit has happened here on my island.  The Packers won the Superbowl, had a visitor from the states, got a new car, made some new friends, found a butcher, and Jenn celebrates her first birthday in Fiji, turning 35 today.  (Not necessarily listed in order of importance.) 
Of course Jenn's birthday is a big deal, and while shopping on my island can be a bit challenging as there is no such thing as Costco, Target, Nordstroms, or even a mall for that matter, we managed to find a few items at a local store, and in a mini-celebration, I made a breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, and fresh OJ.  Not exactly gourmet I know, but when followed up by a dip in the pool, and and afternoon headed down the coastline together, I gotta say, not a bad way to spend the day.  That being said, as a guy, this week presented me with an awesome gift.  (and its no where close to my birthday!) I met a Butcher, and the title fits him well.  He is a huge, muscled up Fijian guy, covered in tattoos, bald head (Looks like the Rock, but shorter.) and he owns and runs his own shop that is "hidden" under a discrete sign that simply says, "The Butcher", and better yet, when I said, "Hello, I am Casey."  He replied with, "Nice to meet you, I am 'he Butcher".  (He has a title, not a name, kind of like a meat-cutting-superhero!)  You are probably asking why this is important, well I will tell you.  I am a carnivor, and while I have had my share of great steaks, few match or compare to the AWESOME cuts at this guys shop and I am pretty sure his unique personality, at some point will end up with him in some sort of action movie.  (Ok, maybe not, but it could easily happen.)  The icing on the cake is his fresh cut bacon, 11/2ft strips of lean bacon with little fat, and filled with all that makes pig sooooo good!  It is official, I have found my favorite store in Nadi! 
A flower for the birthday girl!  Happy Birthday Jenn!
Needless to say, while I thought that my attempted to deliver a couple kilos of bacon as a birthday gift, (with other items from the previous days shopping of course) was an amazing plan.  Surprisingly, Jenn was not nearly excited as I was, but none the less she  appreciated my efforts as a chef, and our day is off to a great start.  As I think about it, our lives are full of gifts everyday; great friends, great family, sunshine, palm trees, beaches, and paradise.  Everyday is a cause for celebration.  Of course everyday can't be filled with bacon, but all in all, I got nothing to complain about!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend. And most importantly, on this special day, "Happy 35th Jenn,!!"  I hope your day is fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. I shall go to this "butcher" and have some of this bacon!, sounds like a plan to me!... LOL, nice read brotha!

    ReplyDelete