Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Mead HS flashback in Fiji! (Tagged in this blog: Pat Tyson)

I'm sitting half way around the world and watching the Packers beat the Steelers with our new friends David and Sybil from Arizona, I was once again reminded of how small of a world it is that we live in.  Filling my self with "Superball food" (That is right, "The Superball" is what they call it here in Fiji...) I was thinking of how far I was going to have to run to work off the grease from the fries and burgers.  Since I have never been much of a runner, it doesn't take much to talk myself out of going, but staying in "beach shape" has been motivation enough so far.
Anyway, I digress.  Somewhere after halftime our discussion turned from football to family and our "past lives"  (as it inevitably always does) and Sybil, began talking about her son that runs cross country and what a great coach he has and how influential the coach has been to him.  Of course I then chimed in and began to brag, (For the record, I did completely disclosing the fact that I was never involved with and had absolutely nothing to do with it other than having friends on the team) that I went to Mead HS and our XC program was second to none largely because of the amazing coach/teacher/mentor Pat Tyson.  Then, out of nowhere, Sybil, with a look of disbelief on her face explained that the same coach, Pat Tyson, that I was talking about was the person she was referring to, and that Tyson is her son's coach at Gonzaga!  What a small world.  (I still maintain that all good things come from North Spokane!)  Of course we swapped stories.  She told of how Tyson helped her son through some tough times as he entered college and has helped him grow, and I told of Tyson's legendary ability to be inclusive of EVERY student, not just the runners and explained how he "created" champions with his sometime quirky, but always genuine concern, passion, and ability to care for every kid that crossed his path.
I was never a XC runner at Mead, and Tyson had nothing to gain by mentoring me, but as his TA one semester, he pointed out all the reasons I could be better than I was, and how setting goals and leaving the negative influences behind was the key to success, and while difficult was what I needed to do.  His passion for success, not only in XC or track, but in life, made his words resonate and gave him credibility where others had lacked..
Pat Tyson is famous in his own right and is known the world over as a great distance coach., but that is just a small portion of what he does.  Here I sit, on an island in the South Pacific nearly 20 years later and I am listening to stories of Pat Tyson's impact from people I had only met a week ago.  His legacy in the running world will be tough to match, yet after hearing the stories and reflecting on my own experiences and those of my friends, I know that it is only a drop in the bucket when compared to the impact he has had on the lives of countless kids (and adults) over the decades as he has inspired people to be better than even they believe they can be.  I know he is a coach at GU now, and I doubt we will cross paths again, but for whatever it is worth, (if someone should forward this on to him) "Thanks Tyson"  You are a builder of champions, and a portion of my life's success is because you took the time to inspire me.  The world needs more Pat Tysons, and I am lucky to have been influenced by such a remarkable person.
Alright, I know this was a bit off from my usual blogs, but admittedly the trip down memory lane was a great one for me.  So now, as the tropical afternoon rain subsides and the clear blue waters are only matched by that of the cloudless blue and sun -filled sky, I am headed home where hopefully the pool guy has already stopped by, the steak will be marinating and ready for the grill, and a cold brew waiting for my hand, after I go for a run of course.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment