Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fiji time...

Got into "The Palace" Friday night, and despite the normal move-in issues, how could I complain?  Finally the long awaited unpacking began and lucky me, Jenn set up the entire house.  Well, that is to say the entire house in terms of the items we brought, and those were mostly just clothes.  But as anyone that has tried to fill 3500sqft with clothing knows, a big house requires a lot of furniture, so we needed to fill it up!  The floor plan is open, and the "outdoor living" space leaves a lot of options, and somehow I hit the jackpot as Jenn went to Fiji's version of Best Buy, (amongst other places) and hooked up the entire house.  Ironically, while the amount of coin we threw down may have had something to do with it, the stores actually delivered all of our items that afternoon!  If it would have only ended there.... 
The problem was, EVERYONE else was on what the folks here refer to as "Fiji time" which basically means that you take the agreed upon appointment time, then add + or - 3 hours and hope they show up at all.  I guess it would be fair to say that the people here have a very pliable relationship with time.  As far as any "sense of urgency"...forget about it.  So when the work crew that was supposed to arrive at 11am showed up at 3pm, and the gas company guy that said he'd be here at 10am arrived at 4pm, and the pool guy that was to be here at 12pm never showed and called about 6pm and said how about he shows up on Tuesday, needless to say, I was about at wits end.  Then, as if scripted, the home theater install guys finished and the music started bumpin'!  The furniture was all been unpacked and had been placed in position, and  suddenly, it became very clear, (once again) I looked around and thought, "What the hell do I have to be stressed about? Life here is awesome!" 
The music was boomin', the pool was calling my name, and as the sun went down, Jenn and I meandered up to the marina had a great dinner, met some fun people, and watched the sunset over the blue waters of the Pacific.  As we finished dinner, the waitress asked if we wanted anything else and I said we were finished, then Jenn said, "grab another beer."  And as I mentally reviewed the list of all that still needed to be done, I realized, why would we hurry, nobody else does.  The band was playing great music, the beers were cold, and the breeze was perfect.  We are in Fiji, I'll be setting my watch (if I should ever decide to wear one) to Fiji time, and I'll be maximizing every second of time here in paradise.
On a side note, the picts will start coming soon, now that we are getting settled in.  But keep in mind, by "soon" I mean with in the week.  I am on Fiji time....

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Casey in Washington I think YOU actually sped my life UP. Minutes had 55 seconds and were full when we got together. I'm lookin forward to dusting off my passport & visiting.
    Seatac Airport Full Body Scan then on to Fijiland. :-)

    ReplyDelete