Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Don't tell me, show me....

It has been a great week on my island.  So much going on, yet so much time to relax, such an odd way to live, but I am definitely getting used to it.  I had planned on writing this blog about my road trip to the other side of the island and doing a bit of braggin' about the beaches I'd hit along the way.  (Figured it would be fun since everyone in the USA seems to be getting snowed in...)  But, after a fantastic week, and some even better beaches I might add, I am once again reminded how fortunate I am, and how lucky anyone reading this blog is.  We are the chosen ones, we do not come from a world that lives day to day and has to worry about food, education, or opportunity.  We hit the geographical-socio-economic lottery.... 
As I drove through village after village and I thought about how "cool" it is that I can buy anything I want for pennies and literally do anything I want, I am reminded of my responsibility as a human being (and my failures overtime) to make every interaction I have a positive one for the other person and to leave the place better than it was when I got there.  Admittedly, I have not always done that.  I've spent alot of years thinking about me with no regard for my impact on others or the world.  Maybe it is age, maybe it is travel or life experience.  What it is, I do not know, but the years have changed my perspective and this week has re-enforced my commitment to lifting others up around me and I challenge each of you to do so as well.
Rugby Practice
I was fortunate enough to have a great family, the best friends, live in a supportive community, and have the opportunity for education, work, and life experience. That is not the case for so much of the world, and as if I have not realized it a million times before, it once again hit me like a ton of bricks while watching little kids on an ungroomed field practice rugby with the same hopes and dreams I had at their age of being a professional athlete or at the very least a successful business person.  The reality is most of these kids will never leave this island., less than half will complete high school, and few will ever have the opportunity to know much about the world other than what they see on the 12 TV channels (if they can find access to a satellite tv).  So I have to ask, "why not?"  There are great athletes and great minds here just as any other place, and all they need is an opportunity. 
I do not want to preach, but I do want to challenge each of you to ask yourself if you are doing all that you can?  Even the smallest of gestures can change the world.
As for me,  I am starting another business.  It will be a not for profit venture that will do just that, offer opportunity.  Whether it is academically, athletically, or any number of other venues, we will support the betterment of those who may not have the resources that we do.
I am not hitting you up for anything, I will not even mention the name of  the company, but I do have one request; ask yourself if you are dong all you can.  If you answer "no" then find a way to do something.  You can be the difference in not only one persons life, but in the history of the world.  It is easy to talk about, but more difficult to do.  Be a do-er!
Life is good!
Alright, I know I sound like I am preaching, so keep this in mind, I won't stop braggin' about my beach-life or the great fun I am having on my island, and most likely, unless it is something major, this will be the first, and last time I blog about this topic. So if you want more, contact me directly.  In the meantime, here is where I spent my day, and how great life on my island is!  Come visit, and we will take you to this little hidden beach we discovered today. 
Talk to you again soon!

3 comments:

  1. Great blog entry Casey! Good perspective on life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry Casey. These thoughts will stay somewhere in my mind to use when appropriate. Be Well my friend. BE WELL.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS.. be sure to say Happy Birthday to Rick coming up this Thursday 3-10-11. The big 41.. :-). Last Thursday we were out till 1:00. AM but this Thursday we'll have beers FOR a reason. Wish YOU were here to complete the trio. ...

    ReplyDelete