Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sun, Sand, and "The Sportsman's Beer"

Welcome to my backyard.  Fiji Bitter : "The Sportsman's Beer"
Another week in the books and Fiji just keeps getting better.  "Fiji time" took on a whole new meaning when I was trying to get a satellite connection to get television.  The company that had the equipment I needed told me that they had no more of the parts I needed to get the link, but who would of guessed it, I was sharing my story with a friendly local and he had exactly what I needed.  Not only did he just give it to me, but he became a friend along the way.  What culture I tell you!  Everyday, the people seem more friendly, and the weather keeps making me wonder how I ever waited so long to come here, and quite frankly why people ever leave. 
Normally, the connection to TV would not have made me quite so happy, but I must admit, the guys that were working on my roof and figuring out the system could not have planned it better.  I had the BBQ going with Australian Steaks almost ready, a "Fiji Bitter" (AKA Happiness in a stubby bottle) in hand, and I had just gotten out of the pool when my sound system boomed the ESPN announcers and the St. Marys vs SD State college hoops game.  I ran in the house to check it out and was quickly reminded that no matter how heavenly my life has become.  Of course, "Home" will always be where my family and friends are, but this place is tough to beat! (Although we will settle for your visits as a "fix" for our desire all things American.) 
It is crazy to me, here I am half way around the world and I have a life people dream of, and my only "regret" is that I do not get to share it with my family and friends as often as I'd like.  I know there are plenty of you whom have the travel plans pending, and just so we are clear, we cant wait to share our little slice of paradise with you!
Okay, on to other things... 
As an avid Coug fan, it is hard to follow them from here, (and I do have the WSU flag flying) but that doesn't mean I have not been trying, and to all my Alumni friends, there are a TON of super athletic Fijian rugby players that are being indoctrinated( by me, so feel free to post updates!) to Cougar hoops and football. 

Bula!
 We need some recruiters here.  Giant, athletic, humble, and ready to play.  This place is a goldmine for athletes.
Admittedly, I doubt this will go down as an entertaining post, perhaps it is more informative this time, an update of sorts.  The "Life is good, the beach is great, and we wish you were here." type of post.  So, take it as just that.  Get online, find a flight, and come visit.  We have plenty of rooms and family, friends, and Cougs are always welcome.  At the very minimum,  I guess I will just have to promise you this, come visit "The Palace" enjoy the steaks, pool, beaches, (College Hoops) beers and "Bula" atmosphere, and if it isn't enough, we will find some entertainment for you!
Talk to you soon.

1 comment: